Viatores Christi (VC) works in the area of development cooperation in the faith-based development sector. We specialise in the recruitment, training and placement of skilled people on projects identified by a mission partner which meets the needs of the beneficiaries. We also specialise in the monitoring and implementation of projects as well as in the provision of experts in developing countries for targeted consultancy. Since 1960 we have recruited, trained and placed over 2000 specialists of varied disciplines in 48 different countries. Today, our members work in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean.
VC seeks a suitably qualified candidate for the position of Executive Director for its mission partner the Salesians of Don Bosco in South Africa:
Position Title: Executive Director
Type of Assignment: Salaried, International Development Worker
Project Title: Salesians Institute Youth Project (SIYP)
Duration: 3 year contract
Location, Country: Cape Town, South Africa
Expected Starting Date: Q3 2017
The Salesian Fathers of Don Bosco were founded in Italy in 1859 and in 1896 first came to Cape Town. The first centre to care for at risk youth was founded in 1910 and since then the focus of the Salesian Institute Youth projects (SIYP) has been to serve the needs of the most vulnerable, marginalized youth to aim to bring about lasting change in their lives.
As an organization, the SIYP is dedicated to serving the needs of vulnerable youth. It focuses on building their capacity and skills through a broad range of customized programmes and assists the youth by securing employment.
The Salesians Institute Youth Project (SIYP) is now seeking to hire a new Executive Director to lead the organization through its next chapter of growth.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director (ED) will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the SIYP, programmes, expansion, and execution of its mission. S/he will initially develop a deep knowledge of core programmes, fundraising and operations.
Leadership & Management:
- Bring about any necessary organization restructure and create mechanisms for change management to ensure successful transition from current organizational dynamic.
- Ensure ongoing local programmatic excellence, rigorous program evaluation, and consistent quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications, and systems; recommend timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize volunteers, board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors. This includes communicating regularly and effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Lead, coach, develop, and retain a high-performance management team
- Ensure effective systems to track scaling progress, and regularly evaluate programme components, to measure successes that can be effectively communicated to the board, funders, and other constituents.
Financial Performance and Organisational Viability:
- Develop resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of the organization, which includes developing and planning annual budgets, working with the CFO to develop appropriate management and risk management systems and actively engaging the Board of Directors in supporting the overall health and financial wellbeing of the organization
- Reviews all policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of the organisation
- Ensures the organization adheres to all local and national policies as required for SIYP and its registration as a charity.
Fundraising & Communications:
- Expand fundraising activities to support existing programme operations and overall organizational growth
- Develop and manage systems for the monitoring of activities to generate sustainable and diverse income sources for the organization
- Refine and develop a strategy to expand all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Actively network and develop new relationships to garner new opportunities – including initiation and development of government liaison and with international donors and foundations
- Be the lead national voice that publishes and communicates programme results with an emphasis on the successes to media, donors and potential new donors.
Planning & New Business:
- Creates and manages the role out of a strategic business plan for the organisation
- Build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, with political and community leaders.
This appointment will be the first external lay person to take on this role, therefore it is crucial that the candidate not only meets the criteria below but also can demonstrate an understanding of the ethos and values of the organization, its faith based approach, in the Catholic tradition and how this influences the work of the organization. The successful candidate must be thoroughly committed to this mission of the SIYP. All candidates should have proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience as well as the ability to manage cultural diversity.
Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree, with at least 10 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performancebased organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalised strategies that have taken an organization and team to the next stage of growth
- Steadfast commitment to quality programmes and data-driven programme evaluations
- Excellence in organisational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
Conditions of Service
3 year contract, basic relocation package
To Apply: Please email a letter of motivation and a detailed CV outlining all areas of experience relevant to the role to email@example.com by 5pm on 6th June 2017