|Role Title:||Communications Officer (Local Volunteer Development Role)|
|Reporting to:||VC EUAVI Communications Manager (Dublin)|
|Location:||VC Uganda Office, Nsambya, Kampala, Uganda|
|Assignment Type||6 month Volunteer Assignment|
|Start Date:||February 2021 – July 2021|
|Viatores Christi (VC) is development organisation (with its HQ in Ireland and a regional office in Kampala, Uganda) working within faith-based international development. VC works with over 30 partners across a range of sectors and countries. VC addresses needs through development and humanitarian assistance interventions and recruits, trains and places skilled personnel. In 2018, over 158,000 individuals directly benefited from the work of VC across partners in the areas of health, education, human rights, income generation and livelihoods. VC is a lead partner in an EU Volunteering Aid Initiative (EUAVI) project and a participant in another. The organisation is also funded by Irish Aid through its intermediary organisation Misean Cara.|
|The volunteer Communications Officer will report to the Dublin based EUAVI Communications Manager for all PR and communications activities for Viatores Christi and specifically the promotion and dissemination of the successes of its EUAVI-funded consortium project “EU Aid Volunteers – Volunteering for Humanity”. This is a pan European initiative to build organisational capacity of the VC-led consortium, consisting of volunteer agencies in Slovakia, Lithuania and France.
For all other tasks the Communications Officer will work with relevant members of the VC Dublin team for other tasks.
The volunteer Communications Officer will be based in Kampala, Uganda with travel within Uganda.
|The role will be two fold and include:
EUAVI project specific duties
– Design and oversee the project dissemination strategy as per the goals of the EUAVI project and the plan
– Document impact of the volunteering quality on partner organisations
– Support the Consortium partners where required in meeting their dissemination commitments
– Design and implement effectively social media project “ Our Story” by identifying and interviewing volunteers and local people in the host countries in East Africa
– Support Consortium partner on Humanitarian Action multimedia activity
– Support Humanitarian Volunteering Network in its outreach, dissemination strategy design and implementation
– Make sure that all events, and dissemination related materials use proper logos, EUAV templates
– Track indicators on dissemination and media related activities
VC communications activities
– Ensure VC’s social media presence is updated and relevant
– Create ‘Stories of Change’ around VC’s engagement in Uganda
– Ensure postings on social media are carried out in accordance with VC communications and media messaging strategy.
– Assist with promotion of VC online training offering.
– Flexibility to assist in other areas may be required at certain times
– Attendance at training events, conferences and other functions as necessary
– Compliance with current policies and procedures
– Attendance at fundraising or networking events as required
– Marketing, PR/Communications degree or other equivalent qualification or experience.
– Experience and/or knowledge of international development.
– Experience in devising, implementing, monitoring and evaluating successful PR/Marketing Campaigns.
– Fluent English (verbal and written)
– Strong networking and influencing skills
– High degree of IT, Social Media and data literacy skills
– Experience of establishing and maintaining online communication platforms for sharing tools and information, broadcasting webinars.
– Excellent proofing skills
– Experienced with photo and video-editing software
– A creative and strategic thinker with at least 2 years’ experience in a Digital Marketing/PR/Communications role.
– Ability to work on own initiative, while also being part of team
– An ability to confidently represent VC and effectively convey its key messages.
– Outgoing with an ability to interact with different groups of people
|Reporting / Relationships Structures|
|The successful candidate will be based at VC’s regional office in Kampala, Uganda and will report to the EUAVI Communications Manager in Dublin. Working as part of the VC team, he or she will work closely with the VC Uganda Coordinator to ensure that output is in line with agreed strategy and that all aspects outlined above are delivered.|
|Volunteer Terms and Conditions|
|Monthly allowance, plus accommodation provided if required. The contract is for six months with an immediate start.|